Water is great stuff! Just not inside your phone.
Water/Liquid Damage - Dos and Don'ts
- DO buy a waterproof case if you are around water a lot (Lifeproof cases are recommended)
- DO backup regularly (for more info on backups, check out prior blog posts #2 and #3)
IF YOUR PHONE HAS COME IN CONTACT WITH WATER/LIQUID:
- DON'T TURN IT ON if it is OFF
- DO TURN IT OFF if it is ON (see below for explanation)
- DON'T put the phone in rice. See rice is for dinner.
- DO contact me ASAP to discuss repair/recovery options.
Water/liquid damage is unpredictable. The biggest concern is corrosion from the mixing of electrolytes from the liquid, many metals inside the phone, and electricity. Once corrosion starts, it can continue to worsen so that a phone that works right after liquid contact can fail days, weeks, or months later. That is why a liquid-damaged phone should not be turned on until the phone has been opened, dried and cleaned.